Tuesday, November 30, 2010

a sheaf of arrows

My goal for the 2011 season is to have 2 sheaves of arrows. 2/3 will be war arrows (poplar and ash, both bobtailed and parallelsided profiles) and 1/3 will be flights. According to Sir John Smythe 8 arrows of each sheaf should be flights, which is confirmed by the arrow profiles brought up from the Mary Rose.
A flight arrow is basically an arrow with lesser weight than a war arrow thus able to travel further. If the shaft is chested and the fletchings are smaller in comparison with a EWBS Standard Arrow, the arrow will cover a greater distance. Flight arrows are not meant to pierce plate armour, but would probably harass and do terrible damage to lightly armed men and horses.

I will use poplar for my flight arrows, as the strength and weight would make a light but strong shaft and thus, in my mind, would be the prefered wood for flight arrows.

I am really looking forward to do this project, as I have spent all my time increasing the weight of my war arrows. Now I have to turn the table and descrease the weight, which will prove to be a different task altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment