Sunday, September 26, 2010

A household archer's spreadsheet

Picture from "English longbowmen 1330-1515"
Can be purchashed here

























Clothes, footwear, personal affections, basic utilities, weapons, armour and so on - all important items needed to portray a medieval soldier, or in this case, a medieval english bowman. The kit, being of good quality, is not something any bowman could expect to have. This is that of a retinue bowman c. 1490 - a bowman on a contract working for a lord.(1)

Now I am not a blacksmith and I don't think I have it in me to make shoes, but what I can do is sew, I know the basics of wood working, I can make a decent war arrow and more importantly - I am not affraid of learning new skills.

If I were to make all of the above, I could spend the next couple of years. But lucky for me, I won't have to start out completely fresh. I have something of a basic set of clothes, belt, purse, basic utensils, sword, buckler, helmet, bow, arrows... but I have descided to upgrade my existing kit so that it matches with all my new stuff.

I am allready in the process of making a horn bracer - it's my first and I am not sure whether I am doing it right. We'll see later on in the process. Also on the drawing board is my ever growing collection of war arrows - arrows get spent over time, so much time is needed mending old and making new.
Hopefully I'll have access to a camera sometime soon enabling me to take a few pictures of my projects and of those objects of my existing kit, which I have deemed worthy of keeping.  

No comments:

Post a Comment