Sunday, March 20, 2011

Finished arrows

I realised that it has been quite some time since my last post and finally desided that it was time to show one of my projects nearing compleation - my first sheaf of arrows.
















I have 3 different types of arrowheads fitted onto my poplar shafts. From the bottom left is 3 long type 10 bodkin, 2 type 7 bodkin, and 3 different interpretations of a war or heavy bodkin.

The shafts are of two different sizes; the long type 10 and needle type 7 bodkins are mounted on a 13/32" poplar shafts, whereas the heavy war bodkins are mounted on a ½" poplar shaft.

I have 11 of the long type 10 bodkin, which has come to be the bulk of the sheaf. The heads vary slightly in size and weight due to the fact that the production has been done over 3 years. As you can see, the heads have received a few dents and bends caused by rocks in the field where I shoot. I'll trust that my friend Jesper can mend them sometime soon.

The needle type 7 bodkin is fairly new to me. I am not sure that I have the dimensions of the arrow head right, nor the weight. I just wanted to see how it performed, as I might use them to display the disadvantages of maille.

These magnificent heads are my heavy bodkins. Again I am short of information regarding the specs of the arrow heads. The weight ranges from about 25-30 grams. The three bottom ones are the the lightest, the 2 top ones the heaviest and no. 4 head is a mix of the two sorts, and also my personel favorite.

My test sheaf of 18 arrows. The leather disc a la Mary Rose find, is proving a nice way to seperate the fletchings. Looking forward finishing the project! 

No comments:

Post a Comment